Tuesday 12 July 2011

Tribute to those who teach me with their words…

Tribute to those who teach me with their words…
To quote one of my fave’s, Florence And The Machine have a song called The Dog Days Are Over, in which she sings; “Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back, Struck from a great height, By someone who should know better than that…” Now these words are something to ponder, how happiness can literally come from out of nowhere, and is often sourced by the most unexpected of areas. Do yourself a favour and listen to the song, notice how she says run fast… I think she is saying grab this moment of happiness and run with it while you can. Take the chance-yes, it came as a surprise-hit you like a train on the tracks but go with it-take it all in while it is still here! This is a beautiful and daunting notion, since the leap into happiness, letting go of every inhibition and reservation means opening one’s self up for potential heart-ache and pain. That’s part of life though-pain reminds us we can still feel, it keeps us alive. We should not fear it!
I find I have always had very specific dreams of “happiness” for myself! When I was about 19, I had it all planned out. Was going to be married by 24 and have my first child by 26. Ha-it’s hilarious to think of it now! Although I realise there are in fact very many people for which that specific dream did in fact reach fruition and they are perfectly happy. Life however-had other plans for me-or rather, to be fair, the series of choices I made (whether good or bad) lead me to where I am today. And, I am secretly bursting with excitement at the prospect of discovering true happiness-BLISS. Whether it is short lived and / or followed by tremendous pain makes no matter.
I do want to get married and have babies with a wonderful man whom I adore and I am looking forward to doing the work. By doing the work I mean love him enough to fight for and with him to make it work together. But I am not there yet. And when I am I want to continue my journey of happiness, with him. I am of the opinion that true happiness and inner peace will go hand in hand. I am talking about soul happy-not just mind happy! For cheap thrills will quench the mind (or even the body) a little for a while but will never truly satisfy, not to mention said thrills are tremendously dangerous for the soul. Finding GENUINE happiness will ease the soul into a state of contentment-I thinkJ
Circumstances today, lead me to re-read one of my favourite poems; Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, by Dylan Thomas. I have always felt this poem is telling us that we must not be afraid to act, to really live while we are alive and not wait until we are on our death-beds, fighting for one more moment to do what was never done. It’s about the regrets man faces of things left un-ventured, of the roads not taken and “the one’s” that got away. Regrets….  Dylan is telling us to live, without fear so that when we reach our end one day, we look back and see that our words had in fact forked lightning and our deeds where not frail and did dance in a green bay.
So think about it, where-ever you find yourself on this journey called life. Don’t give in to fear, be brave - be happy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment